Do you have jaws that pop, click or feel “tired” frequently?
Do you experience frequent headaches, neck pain or discomfort around the ears and jaws?
These are all common signs of a bite disorder temporomandibular disorder (TMD). Known as “TMJ” to most patients, a TMD can cause extensive damage to your teeth and gums over time and be the underlying cause of a range of painful symptoms affecting your everyday life. Dr. Siddhi Patel is a restorative dentist in Hilliard, OH who can provide experienced care for the diagnosis and treatment of bite disorders and TMJ.
TMJ: Common Signs & Symptoms
A bite problem can have a range of causes and symptoms. The key to successful treatment is to identify and treat the root cause through a comprehensive evaluation and personalized treatment plan. Dr. Patel will use digital diagnostics to look for signs of instability or dysfunction in your bite. Common causes of TMJ can include:
- Malocclusion and crooked teeth
- Trauma to the jaw joints
- Genetic abnormalities in jaw structure
- Teeth grinding and jaw clenching
Teeth grinding and jaw clenching can be both a cause and a symptom. When you grind your teeth due to malocclusion or stress it creates increasing muscle tension in the jaw joints. This often leads to associated discomfort including headaches, jaw pain, and ear pain. Left untreated the jaw joints can become over-stressed and damaged.
Treating TMJ in Hilliard
The treatment for a bite disorder will vary from patient to patient. Dr. Patel will recommend the most suitable options for restoring dental health, addressing damage and managing symptoms. In some cases, a combination of procedures may be necessary to meet your needs and offer lasting, stable results. Common treatments for TMJ can include:
- Mouthguards and night guards: the majority of patients will receive a custom oral appliance to be worn at night or when feeling stressed is designed to prevent damage to the teeth and gums if you are grinding your teeth. This is the conservative means of treating the symptoms of TMJ and often a first step towards resolving a bite problem.
- Bite equilibration: Dr. Patel may use restorative dental treatments to repair tooth damage and to adjust how the teeth are making contact.
- Orthodontics: if malocclusion is considered the cause of your bite problem we may recommend orthodontics. Dr. Patel is a Hilliard Invisalign provider and also offer clear braces to straighten teeth and restore balance to your bite.
- Jaw surgery: in more severe cases or if a jaw structure problem is causing a bite disorder, jaw surgery may be considered the best solution for a long-term result.
Schedule A TMJ Consultation
Would you like to learn more about treatment for TMJ and discuss your concerns with Dr. Patel. Park Dental provides individualized care for complex dental problems and bite disorders for the best possible outcome. Contact our Columbus area dentist office at 614-405-7275 or request an appointment online.